Recent research has suggested that W1 may have been copied in St. Andrews in the 1240s. Very little attempt has been made to understand why or how the virtuoso polyphony associated with the cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris came to be cultivated so far from home. The article argues for a redating of the manuscript in the 1230s and therefore rejects the suggestion that the interest in polyphonic music was generated by Bishop David Bernham (in office from 1239-1253) and points to his predecessor, Guillaume Mauvoisin (1202-1238) as the agency by which Parisian music was transmitted from Paris to St. Andrews. Mauvoisin's career is reconstructed with particular attention to his contacts with France and his exposure to the music of the so-called Notre-Dame school. It is concluded that a member of Mauvoisin's familia, perhaps Mauvoisin himself, provided the driving force for the promotion of Parisian polyphony at St. Andrews as a result of the discovery of that repertory during travels in France in the first quarter of the thirteenth century.
- Copyright 1990 The American Musicological Society, Inc.